The streets can be chaotic, with the millions of trucks, cabs and cars moving through at all hours. Tens of thousands of pedestrians walk through the city and cross in crosswalks every day. With bike sharing and the Citi Bike program, more and more commuters are pedaling rather than driving. Drivers on Staten Island, in Brooklyn and across New York City have a responsibility to be aware of and to recognize the rights of pedestrians and bicyclists.
Committed To Helping Injury Victims Obtain Fair Compensation
At Orin J. Cohen Law, I represent persons who have suffered injuries because of another party’s negligence. I understand the types of injuries that can happen in pedestrian and bicycle accidents, and I work hard to obtain the compensation you need to recover from your injuries and move on with your life.
Drivers Can Be Held Liable For Failing To Follow The Pedestrian And Bike Laws
Unfortunately, many drivers are unaware of the laws. These are some of the rules that apply with regard to pedestrians and bicyclists:
- Drivers generally yield the right-of-way to pedestrians.
- Drivers entering or exiting driveways or alleys must yield the right-of-way to people on foot.
- Drivers must give right-of-way to pedestrians even when there is no traffic light or sign, when a pedestrian is crossing a crosswalk and whenever there is potential danger to the pedestrian.
- At intersections or crosswalks, drivers yield to pedestrians carrying canes or accompanied by seeing-eye dogs.
- Regardless of right-of-way, drivers are expected under New York state law to exercise care to avoid hitting pedestrians.
- Bicyclists have bike lanes for their exclusive use.
- Drivers are not allowed to open car doors into traffic when a bicyclist is approaching.
I have a strong track record of success in getting results for injured pedestrians and bicyclists. Recently, I recovered the following on behalf of my clients:
|Recent Pedestrian/Bicycle Injury Case Results|
Fall on street
Fall on roadway
Results are for informational purposes only. Prior results cannot predict future recovery.
How I Will Approach Your Case
As important evidence can disappear over time, it is important to seek the assistance of an attorney as soon as possible. I will work on your behalf to ensure that evidence is preserved and witnesses and parties that are legally responsible for the accident are identified. Once this has been done, I will work with financial experts to accurately assess the value of your claim, ensuring that you receive full and fair compensation for your medical bills, lost income and other rehabilitation expenses.
You Owe Me Nothing Unless I Win For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident or crosswalk accident, call attorney Orin J. Cohen for a no-charge, no-obligation case evaluation. I recently obtained $500,000 in damages for a pedestrian who was knocked down. Let me determine whether the accident involved negligence. I will make every effort to obtain the best compensation available.
If you have been injured on Staten Island, Brooklyn or anywhere in New York City, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Lawyer Orin J. Cohen has sought and obtained damages for New Yorkers traveling on foot and by bike. This money has helped defray medical costs, offset loss of income and compensated people for the pain and misery their accidents caused.
“A good recovery is no accident”™ So contact Orin J. Cohen Law at 718-448-2889 today.